Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Frugal Tip

Frugal Tip of the Week
Tuesday July 21


Eating soups is a great way to stretch the grocery bill.
Have you ever considered making your own chicken
stock? It is very easy with a few basic pantry items.
Not only is it economical but it is very nutritious for you.


When I get a whole chicken I will first roast it with a little
Olive Oil and Lemon juice with some thyme thrown
in the cavity. After, roasting I will take the meat off
of the bone and use for future use.
The next morning I put the bones from the chicken
and place in a large stock pot with water. Then I will
add my left over vegetables.
My left over vegetables came from saving ends of the
vegetables. If you don't do this nifty idea, just take and
cut up a onion, celery, carrots and add to your stock.
You may also want to add some herbs from your garden.
Thyme is always a favorite of mine to add to stock.


Simmer this for a few hours.
Now, just take out your vegetables and add them
to your compost bin.


Now you have chicken stock.
Soups and many other recipes
always call for a little chicken stock.
When I make brown rice I use chicken stock
instead of water. It does taste better.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Faith said...

I love making home chicken or turkey stock. Soups are so good when made from scratch. I'm looking forward to winter when we can have a lot of them. :)

~Faith