Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Potatoes




Wednesday August 12
Potatoes



We have havested 32 lbs!




These are the cages I built for what
I call no dig potatoes. Last year I lost
to the voles, they ate everything I put
in the ground. This year we came up
with a new plan. We planted 5 potatoes
seeds around the edge and then one in the
middle. We used composted leaf mulch
altrenately with straw. We did this in two
layers and then put more leaf mulch on top.
The straw seemed to help keep the mulch
cool, although the rain probably helped too.
I was very pleased with what we harvested.



I built 19 cages, I did purchase wire to build these.
I feel this was an investment, I will have them for
years to come. I am planning on building more for the
next growing season.





3 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Those potatoes look wonderful! I've never seen potatoes grown like that. How interesting!

Faith said...

I have not dug mine out of their boxes yet, but I'm guessing my box system failed.

I had a real problem filling it. I hope to try again next year and be more prepared.

~Faith

Laureli said...

Wonderful idea! The last best easy idea I saw was using old tires and just laying a bag of garden soil into it.
Thanks so much for sharing this.