Thursday, November 10, 2005

Pumpkins and Fall


Pumpkins and fall always seems to go together. I always look to buy pumpkins that are small as these are the best to cook with. If I am going to buy food I might as well put it to good use. Today, the children and I are preparing to make gifts of food to put in a Thanksgiving basket. We are donating everything a family would need for a Thanksgiving dinner. Purred pumpkin is where we began, of course we had to cook the pumpkin. Now, we are finally at the stove process. Spiced Pumpkin Pecan Butter will be going in our basket along with Pumpkin Cookies. I thought that would be a beginning.
Tuesday was Election Day here in New Jersey so on Monday my son and did some hunting for a candidate to vote for. The choices I felt were not very good, this is one area
we are praying about. I was happy to find a man running on the Constitution Party, John Leone. We have begun a new book in Government 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About The Civil War. To go along with this, PBS put a film out called A House Divided Abraham Lincoln. Which shows what Mr. Lincoln went through to become the President. Yes, he was home educated, or you could say self taught. It only goes to show any american citizen can become President.
Last week we also began a biology class by an author Jay Wile check out his website.
http://www.highschoolscience.com/
I love the way he set up his book, it is in my opinion the best I have seen. We are setting up a biology lab for other highschoolers to join in with us. It is amazing how much information my daughter retains . Yes, I am happy to say she helped her brother with classifing organisms. Science for a young home educated child is reading books on science related subjects. Sonlight, has a good program for science, when children are young. We used this when she was much younger. Now we follow a book, The Well Trained Mind , A Guide to Classical Education at Home, by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. This book has helped me choose books for my daughter and I to read for her education.

2 comments:

Hexdek16 said...

The Well Trained Mind ~ Great source of reference. I tried the link on the page but it was a *dead* link to a static page. ~Regards.

Walter Jeffries said...

We were just making a whole lot of canned pumpkin, pies, soup, seeds, etc this week. It is amazing how much food is in a big pumpkin! I also grow them for feed for our pigs and sheep. They enjoy them and the seeds are supposed to be good for worming.