Thursday, September 15, 2005

Women who do too much

How much can you get done today? Sometimes, I wonder where I get my motivation to get things done. I know though God empowers me everyday of my life. It seems when I read the Bible before anything else the day goes smoothly. Reading some civil war books over the past couple of weeks has really changed my perspective. The woman of that time were expected to do twice what I do in a day. Then, they did not have the modern conviences of our time.

Fall is the best time to plant grass, when the days are shorter and more rains. Today was the first day we have had rain since the beginning of September. I made sure I got the grass seed down this morning. Out by my sheep pen on the outskirts of our property I had an area all ready for planting. I was thinking how I was glad I rotilled that area earlier this summer. A couple of days ago I planted a row of bush beans. With todays rain I am sure it will be coming up in no time. Most of the garden got cleaned up over the weekend, my daughter helped do some weed pulling. Mr. Homesteader and our son got the pool covered. I spent some of the early hours on Saturday morning putting my fertilizer down. I have to say that is a very time consuming job. But when you look at the grass about 5 days later, it looks so happy.

Home educating has gotten off to a good start this year. I am very happy with what were getting done this year. I knew it was going to take some dedication of time. My son is in his junior year of high school, and my daughter is in 4 grade. We have been back to school since the first of August. Most of my day is dedicated to schooling. Then, the kids and I prepare meals, keep the house in an orderly fashion, and take care of animals.

My oldest son purchased a horse before he left for Air National guard training. Which I thought was a good idea. Not going out and purchasing a vehicle, was a nice diversion. Well, I decided the horse needs some attention, so the children and I would care for his horse while he is gone. While we washed and brushed the horse, memories began pouring in. I have some great memories of caring for horses back in Kansas. Monday and today we got out to see his horse and give it some attention and still got schooling done. Life as a Jersey homesteader can be a challenge.

No comments: