Saturday, September 03, 2005

Fertilizing

Learning to be a grass farmer this year has taught me many things. First, I have to thank God for everything he has given me. This year I bought a few new books, that I would like to mention. The first book is How To Make Your Small Farm Profitable has helped me with some ideas. The second book is Traditional Farming, this one I love. I began fertilizing the grass on my property this year and I am amazed with the differance in results. The hardest part is hauling the soil, usually after 4 loads I am off for a break. Never before would I go outside just to look at my grass and stare in amazement. I am in the process of creating a small area for my sheep.
In the books I have read this summer has given me great inspiration. Taking 6 weeks off of school was a great thing for me to do. Home education is not just about your kids, you also learn a lot of things. Agriculture and livestock raising go hand in hand with each other. When I began raising livestock I just fed them, but not understanding the whole picture. Raising grass for your animals to eat also fertilizes your soil for the following year. Raising meat chickens one year help me to see that. Where they were the following year the grass came in so well. I found that an amazing thing.
Learning to farm on a small scale has allowed me to learn things slowly. My family has learned to raise chickens and care for them. I have to say my job is learning to care for my little sheep, which means learning livestock neccesities. This year I had a little accident while clipping nails. The clippers went right into my hand. Then, everyone had to chip in as no use of my hand was a problem. My oldest son takes care of chopping wood which he does quite well. The younger children help with the garden and caring for the animals. Everyone has a job to do. Mr. Jersey Homesteader goes to work in the business world.

No comments: