Thursday, September 01, 2005

Harvest

My ancestors put away and stored potatoes for the winter months. I have longed to do the same in todays society. April was potato planting month, Yukon and Red Potatoes were what I had in mind to store away for the winter. Harvest time came quicker this year, the plants began to die by the beginning of the month. I am happy to say we now have a over flowing 5 gallon bucket filled with lucious potatoes. Now what midwestern doesn't like potatoes.

Potatoes can increase your yield from poor soil. Southern New Jersey has very sandy soil which can be good or bad depending on the things you plan on harvesting. In the last couple of years I have planted potatoes where nothing was planted before. I have to say you can use this as a soil improver. Planting pototoes this year was a great success thanks to Mr. Mole. Last year the potato harvest was not so great, with little chunks taken here and there from Mr.Mole. The chickens and sheep were the ones to benifit.

The second harvest is something my husband and have always wanted to try. The cool season plants, lettuce, spinach, and others. This is the year God has blessed me with the desire and the willingness. I will be planting mesculan mix and spinach where I grew the spring crop. Which I have to say was plentiful. Planting with the desire to give away and share with others. The tomatoes will be gone soon and that leaves space for something also. Garlic is also planted in the fall, which my household seems to use lots of. The potato space will be filled up with garlic, pole green beans,and beets. Well, thats about it for the garden.

The animals on the little farm are all doing well this year. Moma and Papa sheep had twins this year, one black and one white, both boys. They are the cutest little things to see. In the sheep world they are called olde english babydolls. When they are born they look like teddybear faces. The ladies or chicken hens are producing lots of eggs for us. We feed them organic grain, but grass fed is where I would like to go. With their help I am learning about being a grass farmer. I am fertilizing the grass with my own fertilizer, which is compost turned to soil. What a neat process, its not complicated but really simple minded.

2 comments:

Tom Scepaniak said...

Welcome! I'll be dropping by often.

Tom

Scott M Terry said...

The Tator is King! I eat potatoes at every meal. When I was growing up, we used to plant 750 pounds every spring with our neighbors. Our two families would eat em all before spring. Nothing like fresh potatoes...nothing.