Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bringing in the Wheat Harvest

Bringing in the Wheat Harvest
Wednesday June 23, 2010



Most people assume growing wheat
is left to a large farm operation.

It is really about changing the way
we think about growing food.

If you think of farming on
a small scale we would start growing
plants they grow in the field.

Growing wheat has been a great experience.
I started out with a seed and went to a plant.
Then I waited and watched.
It has been 9 months since planting time.
Last week we started cutting down the wheat.
You may laugh, but here it goes. I did not have
a tool to cut with so what did I use.
Scissors.
I usually carry a pair of scissors in the
garden as you never know when your going
to need them.
I then wrapped them with twine and left them
in bundles.
Now they are drying.

Till next time we will be threshing.




1 comment:

Lady Farmer said...

Growing wheat is something I have wanted to do but havent! I use wheat straw in my chicken house for floor litter and nesting material and then use the old straw as mulch in my garden. I have had some missed seeds sprout and I have 'harvested' it and kept them for decoration. I do want to try it on a little larger scale, though. Thanks for the encouragement!