Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Frugul Tip




Frugal Tip
Tuesday September 1



Growing greenbeans is one more way
to cut costs on the grocery bill.
Have you considered what you pay for
green beans at the produce stand?
To grow these green beans it cost 2.50
for a package of seeds.
I grow these
where ever I can fit them into the garden.
This year I started a new bed so I could have
a whole row just dedicated to green beans.
Actually, I grew two rows 16 feet long at the
beginning of the season. Then I put another
row in later , so that gave me three rows.
Then, I put more in between some green
pepper plants closer to the house.
One final section went in next to the kale
and cabbage plants. These were not all
planted at the same time so it gave me
beans all season.
So, far I have froze 3 gallon zip lock bags.
Plus, just eating them raw in the garden as
I am working.
Having these little gems in the freezer
in the winter is a great addition.
Now, that is what I call a savings!

1 comment:

Lady Farmer said...

Green beans are one of my very favorite veggies! We had them for dinner this evening and I was just getting ready to post about them on my Pantry blog!
I usually can what we don't eat fresh. I wish I would have planted more this year. They are just coming on ~ strange summer weather has made them late I guess. (Or maybe I didn't get them planted as soon as I should have!) Hopefully we will have enough for me to can for winter ~ especially for our thanksgiving dinner!
Blessings!