Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Strawberries



Strawberries
Wednesday June 3



Today I did my first picking of the strawberry bed.
Not too bad for the first picking.



I love growing strawberry's. The main
reason I like to grow strawberries is for
my freezer jam. As I do not buy jelly
from the store. Its just one of those things
I do. Growing up in the midwest no one
we knew would buy jelly from the store.
Right now I have one large bed. Which I
believe is 9 rows. The bed measures 17 ft by
17 ft, there is small paths to walk down. We place
straw in the aisles to keep the weeds down.
This year we used leaf mulch at the beginning
of the season on the strawberry bed. Which acts also
as a mulch for the strawberries. We make
leaf piles and let them decompose for 2 years.
Since, we get a ton of leaves on our little homestead.
We might as well use them. We have sandy soil where
we live so you must continue to build the soil up.



The one thing we changed this year was inter planting

onions in the strawberry bed. I purchased onions seedlings

from a company in Texas in early spring.

This is called companion gardening. It is also about

using your space wisely. There is a book that I like,

its called Carrots Love Tomatoes.

http://www.amazon.com/Carrots-Love-Tomatoes-Companion-Successful/dp/1580170277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244070610&sr=1-1

In this book she talks about how to plant good companions to

all sorts of plants. Flowers and herbs along with your vegetables.

What a grand idea.

This year I also have added flowers in the

strawberry bed also for a little color. As you can

see there is a row of chamomile along the Iris bed.

The new flower that I added this year is Salvia.

This is planted along the last row of strawberries,

along with the Iris row.



This picture shows an additional bed of strawberries

that I transfered in early spring. When I was fixing

the rows in the big bed, there are always extra plants.

In this picture you can see the onions we inter cropped.

Beside this bed I have an old cattle fence we use for

climbing flowers. This year I planted climbing Nasturium

next to the fence.




This picture is my very first bed of strawberries.

I began other beds of strawberries due to this bed not

producing very well. What I am finding out is that my

soil is very poor quality. After I applied the leaf mulch

and compost this year they are taller plants.

Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for sharing about Campanion Gardening. What fun and inspiring, too! Your strawberries look divine.

Lady Farmer said...

Your Strawberries look so good! I tried to grow strawberries several different times, in different ways and still have not had success!
I have read the book, too!
I love to make my own jams and jellies, too. I get my berries from a local farm stand. Home made/Home canned is the very best and sure makes nice gifts also.
Blessings!