Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Making a nightgown

Making a nightgown





For the past couple of weeks I have been slowly working on a

new nightgown. No pattern, my husband said, just use the old one.


The first week I slowly took apart the nightgown. My husband told

me he originally paid 40 dollars for my favorite nightgown. That price

alone kept me inspired to make this nightgown.


The original nightgown was a very thin knit. The stores call

that a winter material, it did not keep me warm. Due to heating

with only wood we keep the upstairs cool.


The second week I began cutting the material for the new nightgown.


The third week the nightgown started to go together quite easily.

I started with the bodice and did the basting all at once.

Since, the original garment had slits at the bottom of the nightgown

I kept it that way. After sewing the bodice together I basted the

slits and then sewed them. The one thing I have learned about

sewing with knits is basting always helps keep the material in place.


Then came the arms, after sewing the arm material together

I basted the hem of the sleeve. Before, putting it on the machine

I loosened the tension on the machine. Then, sewed the hem on the sleeve.


The last part putting binding around the base of the neck line.

To cut the binding out. First , I cut the material on the bias.

Then, I ran it through my liitle tool I have. Which makes it

quite easy to make bias tape.





The one thing that seemed to take me a long time was putting
the binding around the collar area of the garment.


I wanted to mention the lady who sparked my interest in making
my nightgown. Below is the link to her blog.
Thank you for the inspiration.









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very wonderful! I have always wanted to take apart a piece and use it to make something else. You have inspired me! :) Hope you are enjoying a lovely day!

Haniya said...

I am really excited for you to have copied your special nightgown and created another from it! I love hearing success stories. You've done wonderfully! Love, Wardeh