Friday, September 05, 2008

Growing Corn



Growing Corn




Friday September 5, 2008


In the winter I love to pull corn out of my freezer. When I was a kid
my mom and my siblings would spend a lot of time gathering and
freezing corn. This year I was delighted to have 8 rows of corn. The
picture above is the final growing stage of growing the corn. It is sad
to say I did not have a good harvest. Most of the corn was small but
it was tasty.


I do buy produce from a local Organic Farm called Silverton Farms.
Over the past 5 years my husband and I have gotten to know the
farmer. Sometime this month I will be getting a bushel of corn
from him. I will freeze this for my family for the winter.


One day I hope to grow corn as a crop, but until that day I will
continue to learn the art of growing vegetables on a small scale.
Below is a picture of a field of corn like the one I used to pick from in
Kansas as a child. We were lucky enough to have relatives who let us
pick as much as we wanted.






No comments: