Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Freezing Temperatures

Freezing temperatures came upon us right after the Snow. Now it seems the deep freeze of winter has come upon us. My winter garden is as hard as rock. My first thought was why did it freeze? The thin sheet of plastic is not enough when your having 10 degrees temperatures. You could say that in the raw cold we need extra care. This means ourselves our animals and yes our winter gardens.

My inside garden is soaking up all the sun that February brings. My lettuce plants are in the windows upstairs. I didn't feel they were getting enough sun. Putting up a white poster board on the window has given them extra light. The plastic greenhouse in the kitchen has most of the plants. Putting the white poster board in there also has produced heat. Do you know whats so amazing, its the simple things that create.

My little mother sheep is also in need of care in these freezing temperatures. One day my mother sheep, Lila did not stand. That was the most upsetting sight, anguish came over me. This time I called the vet right away, a nutrient lacking in her diet is the problem. Plus she was cold, her temperature showed this. Pulling my trailer I went and got 10 bales of straw. Surrounding her with straw to keep her warmer, I only hoped this would help.

No comments: