Monday, April 26, 2010

Starting Seeds

Starting Seeds
Monday April 26



This is how my husband started our seeds.
Amongst all the wedding activities he sat
down and began planting. This all happened
one day before the wedding, while I was
finishing my dress.




In a small amount of space you can start about
200 plants. We have two lights on top of our
refrigerator which helps with the germination.
Your biggest job at this stage is spraying the
soil with water. We also build our own soil,
using deyhdrated cow manure, peat moss,
triple phosphate.
These squares are called the mini blocks.
You can buy the tool from Johnny Seeds.
All the information came from Eliot Coleman's
book The New Organic Grower.

3 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

What a neat looking seed tray! I used to start all of my seeds under lights in our garage. I don't need so many plants now that there are just two of us, but I do still start some. And I used to watch Eliot Coleman and Barbara Damrosh's TV program 'Gardening Naturally'. I really enjoyed it. I will have to check out his book. Thanks for the tip!
Blessings!
Oh! And I was wondering what types of seed you have sown?

Patricia Bunk said...

We have sown tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, parsley, kale, spinach, cabbage, celery, lettuce, arugula, african daisy and sunberry which is a fruit.

Amber @ fromtheseeds said...

So excited to find your blog! I also can, make my own laundry soap and am currently starting seeds! You have a new follower in me for sure! Love that you make home made seed starter soil.
amber