Friday, April 03, 2009

The Little Seamstress



Little Seamstress
Friday April 3

Little Seamstress by Jessie Wilcox-Smith

Little Seamstress



Teaching my daughter to sew is such a joy. Although


I am learning myself she always inspires me to strive


to try new things. We pick out material together.


Its great when we take a day and just go look at


material. We talk about the different fabrics so you


might say its a learning experience. Most of the time

we buy fabric online, from a few different sources.

Fashion Fabricshttp://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/

Hancock Fabricshttp://www.hancocks-paducah.com/

We have a few fabric stores by us that we like to go.

Joann Fabrics is a good store to go to and they

have coupons. You can also buy from them online.

Stich n Sew is a local store that is close to us. Its

more like a warehouse of apparel fabric and decorator

fabric. They have everything in this store. The only

drawback is the prices are higher than most places.

It is a good place to just look though.

Hand sewing is one of the first places she began.

There's a book on the market that I love to look

through with her as it gives us ideas what to fill

her hope chest with. Which gave her incentive

to sew for herself. She is spending her young years

learning to sew to put away for future years.

The Hope Chest A Legacy of Love

by Rebekah Wilson

http://www.booksonthepath.com/product/00370/TheHopeChestALegacyofLove.aspx


In her education I feel sewing needs to be part

of her everyday lessons.

Right now she is working on making a tote bag.

So for all the little seamstesses out there

continue to learn new techniques.

Even if you sew for a small amount

of time everyday. That is better than not sewing at all.

Mother and Child by Carl Holsoe
Mother and Child

3 comments:

The Three Little Bears said...

Hi, found your blog looking up chickens and wanted to comment. I don't know how to sew but I would love to learn someday. My own mother was really good at it and I have very fond and lovely memories of that.

Andrea said...

Beautiful! It is so inspiring that you spend such time with and give so much love to your children. God will certainly reward you for it. Your blog is lovely. Many Easter blessings to you.

In Christ,

Andrea

Lady Farmer said...

What a lovely way to bond with your child. Sewing is so rewarding ~ to actually have something useful when you are finished! I have sewed for many years but have never bought fabric online. I have been leery of the quality. I need to touch and see for myself what it is like. What has been your experience with online purchases of fabric? With so few fabric stores around here anymore, this is becoming my only source.
Making things for the hope chest is such a great idea. Both my girls started hope chests when they were younger and while they may not use many of these items today, they have sweet memories of each item placed in it.
Easter Blessings!